Shelter Cook – Relief
Available November 2017 Download/Print Job Posting
Anova (formerly Sexual Assault Centre London / Women’s Community House) is a leading edge not-for-profit organization operating within a feminist model in London, Ontario. Anova is dedicated to meeting the needs of those impacted by abuse and sexual violence in our community by offering shelter, advocacy, support and education.
The Relief Cook is responsible for nutritious meal planning, food preparation, kitchen and dining room maintenance, and maintaining health and safety standards for up to 60 residents and staff in shelter. The Relief Cook will cover sick time, vacation and training time for the cooks at both of our shelter locations. Shifts will take place on weekdays and/or weekends.
Position Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Planning and preparing nutritional, tasty and cost effective meals for large numbers
• Maintaining hygiene and health and safety standards as required by legislation
• Organizing and maintaining food inventories
• Communicate with families staying in shelter with regards to nutrition, possible food allergies or specific food needs
• Working effectively in cooperation with volunteer, residents and staff
Our ideal candidate:
• Post-secondary certificate/diploma in Food Preparation, Hotel and Food Management, or equivalent training and experience.
• Safe Food Handling Certification
• WHMIS certification
• Flexible and available with short notice
• Excellent communication skills and strong organizational skills
• Ability to work cooperatively in a team-oriented environment
• Appreciation of diversity issues and demonstrated experience cooking food from a variety of cultures
• A feminist perspective
• A strong understanding of gendered based violence from a feminist and anti-oppressive perspective
How to Apply
Please forward your cover letter and resume (one document in WORD format if possible), to email@example.com by 5:00pm by November 22, 2017. Please place the words Relief Cook in the subject heading.
Accessibility accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs known if contacted for an interview.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted shortly after the closing date. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of candidate selection.